The New Scale Technologies M3-L Micro Linear Actuator is a miniature high-resolution positioning system. It is a “smart” actuator with integrated driver and closed-loop controller inside the actuator.
This compact, powerful motion system helps OEM designers improve performance and reduce the size of instruments in a wide range of applications.
M3-L micro linear actuators add high-resolution positioning to portable and hand-held devices. They accept a 3.3 V supply and high-level input via standard serial interface.
We offer production-ready standard modules, as well as customized modules to fit your OEM application.
- Small: complete, compact system with embedded closed-loop controls. Less than half the size and one-fourth the weight of comparable systems.
- NO external control board is needed.
- Precise: 0.5μm position resolution with six millimeters of travel.
- Low voltage, low power use: runs on 3.3V input, holds position with power off.
- Simple system integration: accepts high-level motion commands DIRECTLY from your system processor, over standard serial interface (I2C or SPI).
- Flexible system, fast time to market: the M3 platform is designed for rapid customization. Modules are configurable for single- or multi-axis motion and travel up to 20 mm.
The M3-L is ideal for precision tuning of optical and photonics systems. Defense applications include laser beam steering and targeting, UAV and UGV flight controls, and field-portable systems for biomedical and chemical detection and analysis. Medical applications include micro surgical devices and point-of-care systems.
INTEGRATION, STAGES AND CUSTOM DEVELOPMENT
The M3-L is a linear actuator and requires careful attention to loading under static and dynamic conditions. More information including integration guide and CAD file are available for download (registration required).
If you are developing or buying a translation stage to use with the M3-L actuator, consider theM3-LS Linear Smart Stage instead. This precision microstage has very high lateral stability, very low and uniform friction, and built-in absolute encoding. The actuator and controller are built into the stage for smallest size and optimal performance.
New Scale offers both standard and custom M3-L Linear Actuators. In addition to bi-directional (push/pull) systems and custom tips, we can create systems to address your requirements for travel range, module size, force, environmental conditions and more. Learn more about our custom engineering services.
M3-L developer’s kits provide convenient evaluation of the M3-L system and prototyping for your design.